Tuesday 24 March 2009

Tour of Chernobyl


A link here and here and a video for the somewhat bone-chilling tours of Chernobyl, site of the world's worst nuclear disaster. I've always found the place fascinating - 30km of 'dead-zone' surrounding the centre of the explosion. I'd love to go. It's not exactly a conventional holiday destination but the idea of tramping through those abandoned and radioactive buildings, fun fairs and schools in Pripyat to the sound of a clicking geiger conter just appeals to the ghoulish side of me I suppose.
But there's also something distinctly poetic to an area that's now become a haven for wildlife, due to the absence of humans. Particularly as many of those animals are deformed due to the contamination.
Should you want to book, you can do so here. Just don't tell your girlfriend/wife. It'll be a nice surprise for her when she gets off the plane...

2 comments:

fluid69 said...

Take a paint gun with you and you can play a live action game of Fallout 3. Terribly flippant comment to make over such a disaster, but there you go :)

Simon Avery said...

Yeah, I think Call of Duty 4 starts in Chernobyl, as I recall. I find the place fascinating, but not your typical holiday destination...