Thursday 4 June 2009

The Dark Angel - Camille O' Sullivan at the Town Hall

Daily Telegraph: "The new queen of Cabaret...When she sings it's as though her breath is soaked in paraffin; one spark, and the whole room would ignite"
Next time Camille O'Sullivan comes around to Birmingham EVERYONE I know has to come. Tonight's Dark Angel show was more than just a gig; it was Cabaret of the darkest kind, it was frequently hilarious, and took the term 'audience partcipation' to its absolute limit!
Having heard how O'Sullivan likes to bring the show to the crowd, I decided to book tickets that although right in the centre, was a 'safe' three rows back. Alas, when we got there, we discovered that the row in front of us was purely for her to prowl across and then jump over... we were right in the firing line! By the second song, she was amongst us, sitting on laps, talking to us, taunting us and in my case, ruffling hair and enjoying the look of fear on my face...
But it was incredible. I'd go as far to say that it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to. I, of course, was a captive audience: she sang Jacques Brel (My Death for the starter), Nick Cave (Little Water Song, and her stunning interpretation of The Ship Song for the finale), Tom Waits (All The World Is Green and Misery Is The River of the World), as well as a staggeringly emotive version of Hurt, a very dark version of Mack The Knife (in the original German, no less), and an impromptu rendition of Nick Drake's River Man (that they'd rehearsed once and completely nailed).
The intimacy of the Town Hall - and the fact that we were front and centre - made it feel like you were transported to the dark and unpredictable 30's Weimar Berlin. It's part West End show, part absurdist comedy and pure burlesque. To cover songs like Brel's Amsterdam and Bowie's Five Years, and make them entirely her own is no mean feat. It was absolutely stunning.
At the end, she and her band filed off the stage singing the final refrain of Cave's The Ship Song, and then out into the foyer. And afterward, she even waited to meet everyone, sign CDs and talk about the songs and the show, and was a delight to meet.
And as I said before, next time EVERYONE is coming. Front and centre. I think it's the only way...


... and as an example of that 'audience participation' thing, here's a YouTube clip of just that...

5 comments:

fluid69 said...

Cool. While I didn't get to see any real Weimar action last night, I did watch Cabaret (lent to me by Rachael) in prep for seeing the stage version on Saturday night. Stunning film. Can't believe I'd never gotten round to seeing it before.

And, yeah, definitely up for seeing Camille next time. So's my Dad, actually, as he was going to get get tickets for the show you went to, but left it too late.

Chris4444 said...

I was the best gig ever and I am so glad that I sat in the front row.Even my girlfriend fell in love with her and thats a good christian girl she has turned to the dark side lol xx

Simon Avery said...

Cabaret is a great film and the stage version is exceptional. You'll love it.
It's a shame it's on Saturday as Camille O'Sullivan is playing at Milton Keynes that night. I was tempted to go see her again...

Simon Avery said...

And hi, Chris. It was a fantastic night wasn't it? Front row is a scary place to be at one of Camille's shows but also the best. If I had the cash I'd be travelling to see her again before the end of the tour...

Reconnix Technical Operations said...
This comment has been removed by the author.