Friday 16 October 2009

An update and some classic Waits

So, finally back from four weeks in the non-internet wilderness following my move next door. Without the internet I've managed to finally catch up with the first season of Joss Whedon's Dollhouse, some Pushing Daisies and the third season of Dexter (which while the weakest season so far, does improve as it goes along. And season 4 is shaping up much more impressively with John Lithgow as the serial killer).
I've also been working my way through a splendid unauthorised biography of Tom Waits by rock journo Barney Hoskyns. It's spurred me onto filling the gaps in my Waits collection - Small Change, Foreign Affairs, One From The Heart - and it's also inspired my next bit of fiction, which'll be a full on noir tale with all the cliches included, and populated with some strange Waitsian characters.
So with that in mind, here's a very funny interview on Letterman, along with a blistering Make It Rain from Real Gone...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Waits interview is brilliant. Horse's are artists... who knew?

Ade.

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed Dexter Season 3, agree with you that it takes some time to get going but when it does I thought it was as good as previous seasons, Jimmy Smits was awesome.
Looking forward to watching Season 4 sometime.

Bri.

Simon Avery said...

Yeah, Bri, Smits was superb. Just felt season 3 was a little less focused than the first two seasons. Loving season 4 though - giving Hall some great comedic stuff, along with Lithgow doing his creepy psycho shtick.