Friday 7 August 2009

John Hughes

I always thought John Hughes might have a classic comeback movie in him one day, but alas it's not to be. Despite some diminishing returns late in his career, he was nonetheless responsible for some classic comedy: The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Uncle Buck and National Lampoon's Vacation (both sublime comedy films in my estimation), She's Having A Baby (an often overlooked gem of a film) and Planes, Trains and Automobiles (which is one of those films that I could watch again and again.)
I can't think of a better tribute than a clip from my favourite Hughes movie.

2 comments:

fluid69 said...

Yeah, I just read about it this morning, when I got into work. I do actually feel a rather bummed out by this news as, like you, I'd thought he'd make a return to directing at some point, even if for just one last movie. I seem to recall Molly Ringwald had said she kept bugging him to do a Breakfast Club 'the later years' type of sequel. Dunno if that would have been a good idea or not, but now there's no chance of anything new. Shame. 59, no age is it, really?

fluid69 said...

Jeez, Play don't miss a promotional trick, do they? http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/3-/404773/2-/Promo.html?dpr=404773