Thursday 5 February 2009

Avery Manor: The Tour (Part Two: The Objects)

We've made two visits to Venice, and it's a city like no other. Barring the McDonald's and a Toys 'R Us, the stores are unique and beautiful. The first time we got completely lost in the back streets and canals and took an hour or so to reach the harbour before our boat left. The second time, the Piazza S Marco was flooded, and tourists were queuing on trestle tables to get across the square. We on the other hand just took off out shoes and waded across. Such was the Mediterranean heat, our feet were dry within seconds of reaching dry land.
The masks are a huge part of Venice. Every February the city holds the carnevale and dresses to impress in gowns and masks. So every other store in Venice is a mask store. They're quite delicate, so it's pretty difficult to transport too many of them, but I have four now, and I love them all.
On our last visit, we discovered a tiny mask store on the edge of the Ponte de Rialto. We communicated with the owner in some rough English/Italian and he talked about making masks for a lot of the Hollywood movies when they come to Venice to film. The masked orgy scene in Eyes Wide Shut utilised this man's designs (of which the central mask in my collection is based on), as well as Heath Ledger's Casanova and many others. I could have spent a fortune. Next time I go back I almost certainly will...
This plaster head was bought from a Cologne market when we visited it on a Winter break a few years ago. There were some incredible designs, and if I'd had enough space in the suitcase, I would have bought more. Amanda has one in a Devil's face design that is equally impressive. This one of mine seemed to appeal to something in my nature...
My Nightmare Before Christmas cookie jar. Always full of biscuits for guests. A christmas gift from Amanda a couple of years back.
My Sinatra trilby in the foreground. Originally purchased from a fantastic vintage clothes store in Walsall for a Shadow costume intended for a burlesque night out. In the end I went for old time magician and didn't need it. (But Joe did go as The Shadow, so it got some use). It's been loaned out to others since then for various events.
In the background is a graffiti artist's print of Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin. The artist's name escapes me now, but it's signed and it's very striking.
A small amount of my collection of Marvel superhero statues, currently residing in front of some of my DVDs.
Whenever Amanda's parents head off to some exotic location (and they go to some strange Eastern places), they pick me up a new mask. The weirder the better is the only proviso. These two are my favourites (possibly from Vietnam). They remind me of something from a Sax Rohmer Fu-Manchu book. They reside over the toilet, keeping watch while you do your business...

No comments: