Friday 13 February 2009

A Girl Called Eddy



American born Erin Moran trades under the name of A Girl Called Eddy. Her debut album, written and performed with the outrageously brilliant Richard Hawley (whose album Coles Corner should be in everyone's collection) is one of those overlooked gems of recent times. It's languid and bruised, warm and wistful, and full of the kind of perfect melodies and lyrics you could swear you've known all your life; songs that sound like the child of early Scott Walker or Roy Orbison.
There are too many highlights to mention but The Long Goodbye ("...take your records, leave me mine / you're the one who said that we lived it all on borrowed time.") and People Who Used To Dream About The Future ("...Drinking our coffee/It's a quarter to three/No one in this place/Just us and our mistakes...") are particular gems.
She has a new album, You Get The Legs You're Given due this year, and I hope it garners the success she deserves.
Find a sample her music at http://www.myspace.com/agirlcallededdy
I'm scattered like newspapers all over the street
I see your face in everyone I meet
I'm avoiding the corners
I'm avoiding your name
I know that I loved you but I loved you in vain
And this city's too small for two
My melancholy friend and you
And these tears all over town
Too many tears all over this town
Tears all over town


Tears All Over Town - A Girl Called Eddy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Her songs truly are some of the most beautiful I've ever heard by any artist.